Password






New Town & Vysehrad

Václavské náměstí (Wenceslas Square)

The shopping center of Prague. In the upper part of the square is the statue of St. Wenceslas with four patron saints of Bohemia (St. Prokop, St. Adalbert, St. Ludmila and St. Agnes) by Josef Václav Myslbek. Erected in 1912

Národní divadlo (The National Theatre)

A Neo – Rennaisance building of 1868-81, built to plans of J. Zitek. A fire destroyed much of the building in its first year of existence; it was reconstructed by architect Josef Schulz in 1883. The outside and inside decoration was completed by the artists of the National Theatre generation. M. Aleš, F. Ženíšek, V. Hynais, J. V. Myslbek, etc. The National Theatre is the outstanding Czech stage and its repertoire consists of drama, opera and ballet performances.

Vyšehrad

On a rock over the river Vltava, this is the ancient seat of the Přemyslide princes. The oldest building there is the rotunda of St. Martin. In the vicinity of St. Peter and Paul’s Church is a residence for canons, casemates, a park, and a cemetery called Slavin containing tombs of famous representatives of Czech culture. From the south part of the fortifications one has a beautiful view of Prague. The Vyšehrad site is opened the whole day.

Emauzský klášter (Emmaus)

The Emmaus monastery with the Church of Our Lady and Slavic patron saints was founded by Charles IV in 1347 for Slavonic Benedictines. At the end of World War II it was burned by bombing. The two asymmetrical spires were finished in 1967.

Jindřišská věž (Jindrisska Tower)

The tower of the late Gothic style (1472 – 1476) built as a separate belfry of Italian model. After the fire id 1745 it was adapted in the baroque style and in 1870s rebuilt in a Gothic style (architect Mocker). The clock on a tower with two cimbalons is dated in 1577. After the extensive reconstruction the tower was open for public in 2002. This highest separate belfry in Prague is 66 m high and has ten floors. It is possible to make a view of Prague from the corner turrets and visit here the cafe, the stylish restaurant with a view, the exhibition and shopping premises.

Novoměstská radnice (New Town Hall)

A Gothic complex of buildings from the late 14th and early 15th centuries, rebuilt in the renaissance style in the 16th century. It contains a tower with Our Lady Chapel, two Gothic halls with ribbed vaults and a renaissance hall. During 1377 – 1784 the seat of the New Town authorities. On 30th July, 1419, the scene of the defenestration of the Catholic aldermen by Prague Hussites which mardked the begining of the Hussite revolution.

Památník Jana Žižky (Jan Zizka of Trocnov Memorial)

The equestrian statue of the Hussite leader created according to B. Kafka’s model, cast in 1946 and erected in 1950. It is listed as the biggest bronze equestrian statue by UNESCO.

Rotunda svatého Kříže (Rotunda of the Holy Rood)

Founded at the end of the 11th century. Restored in 1862-65 according to plans of the architect Ullmann and the painter B. Wachsmann.

Rotunda svatého Longina (Rotunda of St. Longine)

Founded in the first third of 12th century. Restored in 1844 and modified in 1929-34.

Rotunda svatého Martina (Rotunda of St. Martin)

Probably founded in the second half of the 11th century, restored in 1878 by Vyšehrad clergy to the plans of architect A. Baum.

Company

About us
Company profile
Destinations
MICE Services
Activities
Linkedin
Facebook
Contact us

Destination

Map of Czech Republic
Czech culture
Places to visit
Embassies in Prague
Venues
Media galleries
Weather

Destination

Currency converter
Airlines
Hire cars

 

Privacy statement Site terms
© 1991 - 2020 Experience-Prague s.r.o., All rights reserved. Industry links